» » Washington Eviction Notice Forms | Process and Laws

Washington Eviction Notice Forms | Process and Laws

Create a high quality document online now!

The Washington eviction notice forms are used when a landlord needs to start the eviction process in Washington State. A tenant has the right to notice and if the tenant does not receive proper notice an eviction case may not be allowed to go forward. If the tenant does not respond to the notice, then the landlord may take the next step which it to go to the Superior Court which has jurisdiction over the area in which the premises is located, and file a Summons (See Sample) and Eviction Complaint (See Sample). If the landlord prevails, the court will issue a Writ of Restitution directing the sheriff to have the tenant removed.

Laws – RCW 59.18.365

Notices By Type

3-Day Notice to Quit (Non-Payment) – This notice form is used when a tenant fails to pay rent when it is due. The landlord must give the tenant 3 days to pay before moving forward with the eviction.

3-Day Notice to Quit (Illegal Activity) – This notice form also give notice three days in advance if the tenant is engaging in illegal activities before landlord may proceed with an eviction.

10-Day Notice to Quit (Non-Compliance) – This form is used when a tenant is breaching the ease other than through non-payment or illegal activities.  A landlord must give tenant 10 days to rectify the problem before eviction proceedings can begin.

20-Day Notice to Quit (Month to Month Tenancy) – If the tenant and landlord have a month-to-month tenancy and one of them wants to terminate it, they have to provide the other party with at least 20 notice.

When is Rent Due

In Washington State, rent is due on the date set forth in the lease between the tenant and the landlord, and is considered late if it is not paid by that date. At that point, landlord can provide notice to tenant that rent is due and tenant would have three (3) days to pay before landlord could seek redress from the courts.

How to Evict (Process)

Step 1 – The first step in evicting a tenant in Washington is to provide notice to the tenant that there is a problem and seeing if the tenant will rectify the problem before you need to get the courts involved. Depending on the situation, you may use one of the following forms:

Step 2 – If the tenant fails to respond to the notices in a way that either rectifies the problem or by moving out, then landlord may seek redress in the Superior Court which has jurisdiction over the area in which the property is located. Landlord would then file what is called a Unlawful Detainer Action by filing a Summons (See Sample) and Eviction Complaint (See Sample).

Step 3 – A copy of the Summons and Complaint must be served on tenant by someone other than the landlord. The person serving the tenant will have to certify that the tenant was properly served and file the Certificate of Service with the court. The tenant will have a minimum of six days to respond by using the Answer Form.

Step 4 – If tenant doesn’t respond, the court will issue a default judgment and landlord can apply for a Writ of Restitution. If tenant does answer, the landlord will have to file a motion for an order to show cause, in which case the court will set a hearing date. If landlord prevails at the hearing, the court will issue a Writ of Restitution which authorizes the sheriff to move the tenant out of the premises.